Thursday, September 1, 2011

SWA #3


Ryan Jones
September 1, 2011
SWA #3
            In the essay, “Am I My Brother’s Keeper,” Elie Wiesel discusses the importance to help the needy people of the world.  If someone is requesting our help then it is important to extend a hand of friendship to this person.  Wiesel tells of there being too many people in the world for us to know all of them and befriend all of them.  However, if someone were to ask us to be there brother or to help them, then we should most definitely extend a helping hand. 
            Wiesel described kids as always listening to their music instead of listening to the world around them.  We try to ignore everything but our own lives.  This causes us to not try to help others that may need it.  We do not let any new ideas in.  We just plug in our music and listen to the same songs every day. 
            I can relate to how hard it is to give money to someone in need.  I was approached by a man in a car who asked for ten dollars to pay for a motel room for his family.  He said he just needed ten dollars.  I immediately said that I had no cash on me, even though I did.  I felt bad, but I just could not trust that he actually needed the money.  When I went to Europe, there were a lot of beggars.  I had never experienced this before and I felt bad every time I passed them by.  I just did not feel comfortable giving them money when I did not truly know whether or not they would use it the way I wanted them to.  Wiesel believes that we should give some money to these people, even if they do not use it for good.  

No comments:

Post a Comment