Title: Rhetorical Analysis of “Is Pure Altruism Possible?,” by Judith Lichtenburg
Thesis: Judith Lichtenburg gives examples of altruism and egoism to help argue that while pure altruism may not exist; there is a point that altruism stands out more than a person’s egoism, in her essay “Is Pure Altruism Possible?.”
I. Lichtenburg gives examples of altruism in with real world examples.
A. People perform altruism daily.
II. Egoism is shown through people that want a personal reward for helping someone else, to look better to others, or to get the good feeling of helping someone.
A. Lichtenburg discusses people helping others because they hope to receive an award.
B. Some people do not expect a reward, but simply want to look good in front of others when they decide to help other people.
C. There are people who help others for the good feeling that they receive.
III. The point that altruism shines more than egoism is shown by Lichtenburg through examples.
A. Lichtenburg describes the people that help others for the feeling that comes with it as having altruism and not egoism.
IV. Conclusion: There is a very thin line between altruism and egoism, as discussed in Judith Lichtenburg’s essay “Is Pure Altruism Possible,?” however Lichtenburg argues that it is possible to tell the difference.
I also wrote my rhetorical anaylsis on this article. I thought it was a little difficult to find the argument she was making but you have a very clear thesis and I agree that she is discussing the existence of altruism compared to egoism.
ReplyDelete