Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Thoughts on the Readings for Aug. 23

The essay "Is Google Making Us Stupid," by Nicholas Carr, really got me thinking about the way we search for information now as opposed to the time before Google, or the Internet for that matter.  I had never thought that something, such as Google, that seems so helpful could actually be slowing down our process of thinking.  This really makes me think about the sources I use on research papers.  I might try to use books more than the Internet to help my critical reading skills rather than take the easy way out and "Google it."

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that even though Google is there to help us in research but at the same time it doesn't give us the full story. Google can give us the highlights of a story but reading it in a newspaper or magazine would give one as a reader a more in depth story and in the end supply us with more information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree that even though Google is extremely useful in many circumstances, our ability to look something up in a book or newspaper has been drastically reduced.

    ReplyDelete