Ryan Jones
August 24, 2011
Response to “Get Smarter”
“Get Smarter,” by Jamais Cascio, is an opposite view point, as opposed to Carr’s “Is Google Making Us Stupid,” of how the future’s technology will change us and our thought process. Both posed convincing arguments. Carr described Google and the Internet as slowly taking away our critical reading skills due to the quickness we can now obtain knowledge. However, Cascio describes this as a stepping stone in our advancement as beings. I agree with Cascio’s argument because as humans we have found ways through tragic times and I believe we can continue to do so.
Carr’s evidence of Google draining our critical reading and attention skills seems to be true. The thought of me slowly losing the ability to pay attention for long periods of time does frighten me, but I believe that Cascio’s answer to this theory is the answer that we will all eventually take. Cascio described pills that could be used to help people pay attention and focus clearly. The pills for ADD that we have today are going to end up being the foundation for these focus pills. I am not crazy about popping pills to be able to focus, but I will do that if that is what it comes to.
Technology is constantly advancing. This advancement is going so swiftly that as soon as the consumer buys the newest product rumors began about an even better one coming in a year. There is no way that we as a society will ever want to slow this advancement down. This is why I agree with Cascio. Instead of killing ourselves with all of the new technology I believe that we will adapt as we always have.
This essay held my interest because it was an answer to the times when Google rules our lives. It is close to doing this now, which is why we need to find a way to adapt to the new style of living. I do not fear the time when fossil fuels run out because, as I have stated, I believe that we will be able to find a substitution. The human race has made it through rough times and seems to always rise above it. This essay was more optimistic than the earlier one by Carr. This is why I think most people will like Cascio’s take on our situation better. It helps us to feel secure about the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment